What follows is the
README.md file from my GitHub repo where https://blog.summittdweller.com is built. It outlines how to “properly” add Python to a project such that we can create an easily reproducible “virtual environment” without storing the necessary Python libraries in GitHub.
Latest Python Improvements
Using guidance at https://predictivehacks.com/how-to-work-with-vs-code-and-virtual-environments-in-python/ I successfully created a new
.venv virtual environment. The commands I used to do this were…
╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummittDweller ‹main*› ╰─$ python3 -m venv .venv ╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummittDweller ‹main*› ╰─$ source .venv/bin/activate (.venv) ╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummittDweller ‹main› ╰─$ pip3 freeze > python-requirements.txt (.venv) ╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummittDweller ‹main*› ╰─$ pip3 install -r python-requirements.txt
Then I used
COMMAND-SHIFT-P to select and
Python: Select interpreter to choose the new
.venv Python. After that…
(.venv) ╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummitDweller ‹main*› ╰─$ python3 consolidate.py --start 20220806 --end 20220825 (.venv) ╭─[email protected] ~/GitHub/blogs-SummitDweller ‹main*› ╰─$ hugo server
Rebuilding a Local Environment
Based on guideance from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6590688/is-it-bad-to-have-my-virtualenv-directory-inside-my-git-repository I’ve reconstructed this project such that Python artifacts do NOT propogate into Github.
The project should automatically “rebuild” as necessary when opened in VSCode, but if the Python virtual environment needs to be recreated use…
source .venv/bin/activate && pip3 install -r python-requirements.txt
Deployment via DigitalOcean
In order to deploy this
starter static app on DigitalOcean I had to PERMANENTLY move all of my Python components (
.py scripts and
requirements.txt) to a
.python directory to hide it from view during app creation. Before moving these elements DigitalOcean would consistently try to deploy my app as Python, and that’s not right.
See DigitalOcean ticket [#06849069]
Hugo static site with Python components builds fail for details.
The response I received from DigitalOcean…
Thanks for contacting DigitalOcean.
We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Hugo static site. From what you mentioned it does sound like your app is getting detected as a python webservice rather then a static site due to the requirements.txt file you had in the root of your repo.
Unfortunately this is currently what App platform uses to detect applications as python apps. Either having a requirements.txt file or a setup.py file will cause that detection. Our engineers are looking into options to specify the build pack used rather then relying upon the auto detection, which would address this issue in your case, but don’t have a timeline yet for implementing it.
In the mean time the work around that you have specified here should work fine for this. It should cause the app to be detected as a static site rather then python. Hopefully it isn’t impacting anything else in your app’s build process.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Regards, Nate Senior Cloud Support Engineer Check out our community for great tutorials, articles and FAQs! digitalocean.com/community
Based on the response above I’m making final changes to eliminate the
.python folder, renaming
python-requirements.txt, and pulling all other contents of
.python into the root of the project.